The original Reading Room began in August of 1935 as a public response to
the Depression Era job losses in New York. Many people did not have anywhere
to go during the day, and no prospects for jobs. The New York Public Library
opened the “Open Air Library” to give these out-of-work businessmen and
intellectuals a place to go where they did not need money, a valid address, a
library card, or any identification to enjoy the reading materials.
The 1935 Reading Room consisted of several benches, a few book and
magazine cases, and a table with a beach umbrella for the five librarians who
ran it. It operated every day except Sunday from mid-morning until
mid-evening. Most of the books were from the New York Public Library’s
circulation, but all magazines and trade publications were donated by
publishers or individuals. When it rained the books and periodicals were
quickly put in a large water-proof chest and readers and librarians took
cover. No cards were required – patrons were simply asked to sign in and out.
The Reading Room was closed in 1944 due to an increase in jobs and World War
The Bryant Park Corporation has repeated history by recreating the Bryant
Park Reading Room. It is modeled after the original with the additions of
custom-designed carts for an extensive and eclectic selection of books,
periodicals and newspapers; readings and programs at lunchtime, after work and
for kids; movable furniture to create a more intimate environment; and
kid-sized carts and furniture for children to use. The programming,
publications, and environment of the Reading Room are available to everyone
for free, without any need of cards or identification.
Books and Staff
We are fortunate to receive book donations from publishers of the
periodicals, books, and newspapers that fill the shelves of the Reading Room.
Thanks to all that donate.
Thanks also go to the dedicated people who staff the Reading Room whenever
it is open. If you have a question, please don’t hesitate to ask.