Public Programming Coordinator
Bryant Park Corporation and 34th Street Partnership seek a short-term, part-time coordinator to work with the Operations and Events Departments. Scheduling will be based on availability and the staffing demands of upcoming events and programs.
The Public Programming Coordinator must be hard-working, self-starters, willing to work extensively outdoors, and be passionate about the public events and activities hosted in Bryant Park, Herald Square, and Greeley Square.
Events and programs the Coordinator may be asked to assist at could include: HBO Bryant Park Summer Film Festival; music, theater, and dance performances; Reading Room events; and classes in tai chi, language, juggling, yoga, and knitting.
Work schedules will be released on a monthly basis based on staffing demands of upcoming events and programs. Minor schedule changes may be made on a weekly basis. The Coordinator can expect to work a range of shifts between 6am – midnight, Monday – Sunday, as needed throughout the season. On-call shifts may be discussed.
The position is available August 1 – September 30, 2014 (dates are flexible).
Compensation: $12 per hour.
All applicants will be considered, though the position is expected to suit students with part-time class schedules, or those who are looking to supplement another part-time position held elsewhere. College graduates with an open and flexible schedule are preferred, as changes to event scheduling can come up at short notice. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable event coordination experience by working for two organizations that are dedicated to making New York City safer, cleaner, more beautiful, and more engaging.
- Day-to-day coordination of public programs and activities in the parks, including equipment setup, communicating with instructors or facilitators, and supervising the event.
- Serve as a park ambassador and tactfully answer questions from the public regarding park amenities, activities, local attractions, etc.
- Work with senior Events and Operations staff to resolve concerns as they come up - may include problems with pedestrian flow, damaged equipment needed for public programs, etc.
- Prepare materials for upcoming events, including brochures, promotional signage, and programs.
- Take photos of public programs and events, daily conditions in the park, and visible maintenance concerns.
- Conduct counts of event attendees and prepare reports on events and programs.
- Analyze the success of particular park programs and consider ways they can be improved.
- Administrative duties, including data entry, as needed.
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from four-year college
- Flexibility to work with a changing schedule
- Willingness and desire to get hands dirty and work outdoors
- Outgoing, independent, mature, fun and curious
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow explicit instructions
- Experience in planning and executing events preferred
Interested candidates should email email@example.com with "Public Programming Coordinator" in the subject line. In the body of the email, include a cover letter expressing your interest. Attach your resume in .doc or .pdf format. Phone calls will NOT be accepted.
Bryant Park Corporation / 34th Street Partnership
1065 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10018