Graphic Design Intern
The Bryant Park Corporation and the 34th Street Partnership, two leading Business Improvement Districts (non-profit public-private organizations) in Manhattan, New York, are looking for a Graphic Design Intern (GDI) to join their award-winning in-house design team. The GDI will be primarily responsible for assisting with the research, planning, presentation, design, refinement, and execution of environmental/print/online graphic design projects for the urban environment, but he/she may also assist with urban, public space, and architectural projects. The GDI will join a multidisciplinary team that includes professionals with backgrounds in industrial design, graphic design, architecture, landscape architecture and urban design, and work within an office that also includes departments of Capital Projects, Events, Horticulture, Information Technology, Sanitation, Operations, Retail and Visitor Services, Security, and Social Media. This is a full-time $12/hour internship starting as soon as possible. The internship will be subject to review with potential for rate increase at three months; and it may later lead to a permanent position if the candidate fulfills all the necessary requirements and the internship is completed successfully.
Include, but not limited to:
- Reports directly to the Vice President, Director of Design, and to senior designers, and works with interdisciplinary teams on projects as required.
- Creates and assists with the design of environmental graphic elements for urban design projects, sign systems, print and online advertisements, brochures and flyers, maps, charts and graphs.
- Creates and assists with the design of street furniture, urban equipment, furniture for parks, park and plaza design, and other public space and architectural projects.
- Creates photo simulations to help staff visualize urban design projects.
- Creates and assists with print and digital presentations for internal and external design meetings and NY City agency submissions.
- Creates and edits existing architectural CAD files.
- Undertakes site visits and takes photographs and measurements.
- Performs field and online research.
Please read the following qualifications and submission requirements; applicants who do not follow the instructions will not be considered.
- The applicant must be a graduate from a Graphic Design undergraduate program; no associate or unrelated degrees will be considered.
- Applicant should demonstrate an interest in urban design, public spaces and parks.
- Proficient in environmental and print graphic design: has knowledge of basic visual design principles such as typography, composition, form, and color; visual problem solving; print design, layout and mechanicals; online design and information architecture.
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Able to work on several projects at a time, quickly and accurately. Works well with tight and/or overlapping deadlines.
- Skilled in design software applications, required: proficiency in the latest versions of Adobe: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop; PowerPoint; Outlook; Word; Excel. Mac and PC-based office: cross-platform flexibility a plus.
- Has good outdoor and indoor/studio photography skills.
- Must have the ability to listen, follow direction, be responsive to change and feedback and have a willingness to collaborate with all the designers on the team; also must be comfortable working directly with members of other departments.
- Proactive, brings a curiosity and his/her own ideas; contributes to group discussion.
- Has a desire to learn and work in a collaborative design environment.
Qualified candidates should e-mail email@example.com with only "Graphic Design Intern" in the subject line. No phone calls please. Top applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview with portfolio. Please clearly label your files, keep images and text in your attachments legible, and keep files sizes to a minimum. We will not accept emails over 10MB.
Email requirements; please include:
- A cover letter expressing why you're interested in the position (in body of email)
- A resume as an attachment (DOC or PDF files only)
- A minimum of three to a maximum of eight samples of your work (in an attached PDF)